Thursday 19 June 2014

A Time to Remember....

Clem and JP left South Africa on March 31 and two days later we set out on another adventure with a stop over in Barberton to visit Riaan, Lynnette and Liam.  The first weekend in April they would go into Kruger National Park with us and then Marius and I would spend another week in the park before heading to Tanzania. 

On April 4 I received a call from my brother, Scott, who requested that I return to Illinois because my Dad was not feeling well.  We checked flights and I would be able to leave from the Mapumalanga International Airport near the Kruger Park that following Monday, fly to Johannesburg and then on to Chicago via New York.

In the mean time we would continue with plans to visit Kruger Park’s Skukuza and Talamati Camps on Friday and Saturday and I would return with Riaan and Lynnette to Barberton on Sunday.  Although it was a quick weekend visit for me, we were fortunate to spend some quality time with Liam.  He loved driving the Cruiser with his Uncle Marius!



On Sunday afternoon, April 6, I grabbed my backpack, said goodbye to Marius who stayed in Kruger Park and began the journey home to Dad.  I remained with him until May 9 and met up with Marius again in Kasane, Botswana on May 11.  My Dad passed away on May 29 while we were on the shores of Lake Malawi at the King’s Highway Camp.  I was able to speak with him via satellite phone for the last time on Memorial Day from the Old Farmhouse Camp at Kisolanza, Tanzania.   There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of him, how much he loved the African wildlife and to hear about our adventures.  I miss him very much and am so glad that I flew home to be with him.

THE BIG FIVE FOR YOU POP!  XOXOX 






No comments:

Post a Comment